The brewery was designed to make milling the grain as easy and safe as possible. Once the grain is in the Chain-Vey hopper, it is carried to the roof to the mill room, dropped into the mill's hopper and the crushed grain is dropped into the grist case.
**Never put your hands or anything into the Chain-Vey hopper.** If you need to reach into it, turn the power off and lock it with a padlock so that no one can accidentally turn it on.
**Never put your hands or anything into the mill.** If you need to reach into it, turn the power off and lock it with a padlock so that no one can accidentally turn it on.
While the Chain-Vey to mill to grist case is a completely closed system, keeping grain dust inside, grain dust is a health hazard -- you do not want to breathe it. Excessive grain dust is also an explosion hazard.
You should never have to enter the mill room while it is crushing grain. A Dropcam is mounted inside with a view of the mill. Use the Dropcam app to view the mill room and verify that it is off before entering.
The mill can crush grain at a rate of 500kg/hour. A bag of grain is 22-25kg, so the mill can crush 20 bags of grain in an hour, or one bag every 3 minutes. The chain-vey has an outlet hopper that can hold 1 bag of grain while the mill has a hopper that can old 1 bag of grain. That means that you can put at most 2 bags of grain into the hopper in 6 minutes, or 3 minutes on average.
TODO: figure out the time to complete a journey of grain to the mill in teh Chain-vey, and how much grain is in the Chain-vey at any one time.
Steps to Mill Grain:
- Turn on Chain-Vey and Mill with the power switch near the Chain-Vey
- Verify that the Chain-Vey is operating
- Pour grain into the hopper **no faster than one bag every 3 minutes**. It's going to take an hour or so to mill all the grain for a batch, so you don't need to hurry and empty all the bags quickly.
- Use the Dropcam app on an iOS or Android device to view the mill room to verify that the grain is being milled and not overflowing the mill's hopper.
- Continue pouring grain into the Chain-Vey hopper while watching the mill.
- When all the grain has been placed in the mill wait ____ minutes for the last of the grain in the chain-vey to be delivered to the mill and then turn off the Chain-Vey/Mill power switch.